I believe Dave Taht has pointed out, essentially, that the "codel" part of
fq_codel can be useful in cases where the definition of "flow" is not
visible to fq_codel, so that "fq" part is inactive. For example, if there
is VPN traffic, where the individual flows are not separable by fq_codel,
then it can help to have "codel" AQM for the aggregate of encrypted VPN
traffic. I imagine this rationale could apply where there is any kind of
encapsulation or encryption that makes the notion of "flow" opaque to
fq_codel.

neal