On Tue, 27 Nov 2018, Luca Muscariello wrote:

A BDP is not a large buffer. I'm not unveiling a secret.

It's complicated. I've had people throw in my face that I need 2xBDP in buffer size to smoothe things out. Personally I don't want more than 10ms buffer (max), and I don't see why I should need more than that even if transfers are running over hundreds of ms of light-speed-in-medium induced delay between the communicating systems.

I have routers that are perfectly capable at buffering packets for hundreds of ms even at hundreds of megabits/s of access speed. I choose not to use them though, and configure them to drop packets much earlier.

My point was that FQ_codel helps to get very close to the optimum w/o adding useless queueing and latency. With a single queue that's almost impossible. No, sorry. Just impossible.

Right, I realise I wasn't clear I wasn't actually commenting on your specific text directly, my question was more generic.

--
Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swm...@swm.pp.se