Considering how much the C level management weights the level us ISP's ranks in
Ooklas test - weaknesses and all, this is very good news.  At least here in
Norway the ranking in Ookla is used in marketing and is considered very
important.  If ISPs (such as Telenor who I work for) starts to slip in the
rating due to bad latency numbers - we may finally get some traction to improve
the situation.

-Erik

On 24/02/2023, 08:43, "Bloat on behalf of Sebastian Moeller via Bloat"
<bloat-boun...@lists.bufferbloat.net
<mailto:bloat-boun...@lists.bufferbloat.net> on behalf of
bloat@lists.bufferbloat.net <mailto:bloat@lists.bufferbloat.net>> wrote:

Hi All,

We are getting there...

'The average latency of all tests performed in the tile, represented in
milliseconds'

This is infinitely better than no under-load numbers. However, the latency
distribution is neither 'normal'* nor fully symmetric (it can not, there is a
hard minimum, the minimal path RTT and a hard maximum (icmp timeout) even
though the distribution will likely be closer to the minimum than the
maximum)**.

Next improvement possibility: they report averages and number of tests, but no
measure of variance...

To put a positive spin on it, reporting luli numbers at all is great, as is the
potential to improve the reporting quality with small additions!

Regards
Sebastian

*) Which is not a showstopper per se as long as the distribution is unimodal
and not too skewed then the average is still intuitively interpretable, but is
it?
**) My gut feeling is a beta distribution could be fitted to the data and that
functions control parameters reported to better model the expected distribution
shape.

P.S.: This time without links to test what triggers getting blocked...