I think better tooling can help and I am always interested in suggestions on what to add to iperf 2 for better coverages.

I've thought it good for iperf 2 to support some sort of graph which drives socket read/write/delays vs a simplistic pattern of AFAP. It for sure stresses things differently, even in drivers. I've seen huge delays in some 10G drivers where some UDP packets seem to get stuck in queues and where the e2e latency is driven by the socket write rates vs the network delays. This is most obvious using burst patterns where the last packet of a latency burst is coupled to the first packet of the subsequent burst. The coupling between the syscalls to network performance is nonobvious and sometimes hard to believe.

We've been adding more "traffic profile" knobs for socket testing and have much of the latency metrics incorporated. Most don't use these. They seem to be hard to generalize. Cloudflare seems to have crafted specific tests after obtaining knowledge of causality.

Bob

PS. As a side note, I'm now being asked how to generate "AI loads" into switch fabrics, though there it probably won't be based upon socket syscalls but maybe using io_urings - not sure.

This is good work!  I love reading their posts on scale like this.

It’s wild to me that the Linux kernel has (apparently) never
implemented shrinking the receive window, or handling the case of
userspace starting a large transfer and then just not ever reading
it…  the latter is less surprising, I guess, because that’s an
application bug that you probably would catch separately, and would be
focused on fixing in the application layer…

-Aaron

On Sat, Jun 3, 2023 at 1:04 AM Dave Taht via Rpm