Hi Gert,

> On Sep 28, 2023, at 09:33, Gert Doering <g...@space.net> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> On Thu, Sep 28, 2023 at 09:14:27AM +0200, Sebastian Moeller wrote:
>>      [SM] Has Vodafone started using IPv6 for their DSL-users yet*? About
>> the content that is an interesting question, I will try to measure in my
>> home network what IPv4/IPv6 traffic ration I actually see.
>
> Many high-volume sides do offer IPv6, since years (all google infra,
> youtube, facebook, etc.) - so depending on the type of end-users, you
> can see well over 50% IPv6 traffic.  Think "student dormitories" and
> "youtube" ;-)

        [SM] I have some youtube-affine kifs^W erm, "users" on my network that
might push the ratio towards IPv6  then ;)

> But this really depends on the nature of your traffic, as many "news
> outlet" types are still missing (stern.de, spiegel.de, bild.de, ...)
> (and those would be prone to SEO coaxing ;-) ).

        [SM] True!

> What irks me quite a bit is that there's still many content offerings
> that use CDNs (Akamai, Cloudflare, etc.) who can do IPv6 perfectly fine,
> you just have to check the "[X] yes, IPv6!" checkbox... so we have,
> www.ard.de who are behind Akamai, but have no v6...

        [SM] I also seem to recall that the playstation and xbox networks
operate mostly IPv4, valve probably as well.

>> [Vodafone DSL]
>> *) According to
>> https://de.statista.com/statistik/daten/studie/203020/umfrage/anzahl-der-dsl-kunden-von-vodafone-in-deutschland/
>>  Vodafone Germany had around 2.5 Million DSL customers end on 2022 this is
>> not a lot (there are roughly 40 Million access links in Germany) but it is
>> also not "nothing".
>
> I wasn't aware that Vodafone DSL is lacking in that regards - as they have
> IPv6 on their cable and mobile offerings (arguably "different networks,
> before VF bought them and put the VF label on top").  But you're right,
> there is work to do.  Thanks for the insight.

        [SM] I am sure Vodafone DSL used to have that issue, but honestly I do
not know about the current state (so maybe I should have reasearched that first
before posting), I would hope for their users that they activated IPv6.

Besten Gruss
        Sebastian