On 9/29/23, 00:54, "Jonathan Morton" <chromati...@gmail.com
<mailto:chromati...@gmail.com>> wrote:
> Some ISPs began to actively degrade Netflix traffic, in particular by
> refusing to provision adequate peering capacity at the nodes through which
> Netflix traffic predominated

That is not true and really not worth re-litigating here.

> NN regulations forced ISPs to carry Netflix traffic with reasonable levels of
> service, even though they didn't want to for purely selfish and greedy
> commercial reasons.

NN regulations played no role whatsoever in the resolution of that conflict - a
business arrangement was reached, just as it was in the SK Telecom example
recently:
https://about.netflix.com/en/news/sk-telecom-sk-broadband-and-netflix-establish-strategic-partnership-to

> ISPs behind L4S actively do not want a technology that works end-to-end over
> the general Internet.

That's simply not true. As someone running an L4S field trial right now - we
want the technology to get the widest possible deployment and be fully
end-to-end. Why else would there be so much effort to ensure that ECN and DSCP
marks can traverse network domain boundaries for example? Why else would there
be strong app developer interest? What evidence do you have to show that anyone
working on L4S want to create a walled garden? If anything, it seems the
opposite of 5G network slicing, which seems to me personally to be another 3GPP
run at walled garden stuff (like IMS). Ultimately it is like a lot of other
IETF work -- it is an interesting technology and we'll have to see whether it
gets good adoption - the 'market' will decide.

> They want something that can provide a domination service within their own
> walled gardens.

Also not correct. And last time I checked the balance sheets of companies in
these sectors - video streaming services were losing money while provision of
internet services were financially healthy.

JL