Hi folks,

This note was prompted by a question from the crusader github repo [1] where I
wrote the following:

>> It seems to me that the server netperf.bufferbloat.net (also called
>> netperf-east.bufferbloat.net) has been down for quite a while.
>
> Yes. I have been stymied by heavy abuse of the server. In addition to
> legitimate researchers or occasional users,
> I see people running a speed test every five minutes, 24x7.
>
> I created a bunch of scripts [2] to review the netperf server logs and use
> iptables to shut off people who abuse the server.
> Even with those scripts running, I have been unable to keep the traffic
> sent/received below the 4TB/month cap at my VPS.

Does anyone have thoughts about how to continue providing a netperf server at
the name "netperf.bufferbloat.net" while not overwhelming any particular
server? Many thanks.

Rich

[1] https://github.com/Zoxc/crusader/issues/14#issuecomment-2028273112
[2] https://github.com/richb-hanover/netperfclean