On Dec 11, 2009, at 3:19 PM, Egon Willighagen wrote:
> I think I incorrectly phrased my point... I meant: it is irrelevant if
> a something is Open or not, with respect to becoming a standard.
> (stupid double negations, and lack of bracket in English :)

Or I was being overly flippant. My real purpose was to point out that "Open
Standards" is a thoroughly discussed topic - enough to have its own Wikipedia
page. It mentions:

  One of the most popular definitions of the term "open standard", as measured
  by Google ranking, is the one developed by Bruce Perens.

which links to http://perens.com/OpenStandards/Definition.html .

Is there anything new to add to that list of principles? Anything which is
specific to chemistry software? If not, I purpose just accepting that, rather
like pointing to the opensource.org definition for clarification of "open
source."

For example, the BO position is that there must be community involvement, which
is not listed in Perens' definition. The BO does not however list what
constitutes the community, so I wonder if vendor's clients and potential
clients constitutes a community, or for that matter if the employees of a
company also constitute a community.

Cheers,

                                Andrew
                                da...@dalkescientific.com