On Sat, Apr 16, 2011 at 9:54 AM, Peter Murray-Rust <pm...@cam.ac.uk> wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 16, 2011 at 7:03 AM, Egon Willighagen
> <egon.willigha...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I was just wondering... how (un)common are tutorials like this in the
>> Blue Obelisk community?
>>
> Does "like this" mean that there are a series of humans giving online
> tuition?

Yes, sorry for being short on detail.

> Because if so I think it depends on funding - with the best will in
> the world it's unlikely that many unfunded people will give *repeated*
> online tutorials gratis. This is a significantly funded (EU) activity.

It is indeed. I have been thinking though to do the same for the CDK,
but funding resources to actually do so is indeed limited :(

> If it means "using Blue Obelisk software as the main software/data resource
> in the tutorial" then I would expect this to become commoner as the Blue
> Obelisk shows that software can be both libre and good. But again it depends
> on the ability to get human tutors. I expect this to increase rapidly for
> Quixote/Blue_Obelisk and I'll blog why. (Indeed I believe that all
> undergraduate teaching software/data should be libre/gratis).

It is also very beneficial for community building around the BO component.

> If you mean "putting out libre tutorial material for re-use" then I don't
> know as by default the material is not libre (it has no licence and is
> explicitly copyrighted). I hope this is an oversight by the OpenTox
> community and they mean to licence all this as as CC-BY or CC0. In which
> case I think there is an incresing amount of such material.

I'll relay that question.

> FWIW you could regard our videos of OSCAR
> (http://www-pmr.ch.cam.ac.uk/wiki/OSCAR4_Launch and
> http://sms.cam.ac.uk/collection/1130934 ) as quasi-tutorial - humans
> explaining how to do things in a well-documented area. I would hope to see
> much more of this and because of the technical success we plan to re-create
> similar videos for more Blue Obelisk products. This may be an opportunity
> for the OpenBabel meeting later this summer.

Sounds good! Is YouTube hosting planned, making it easy to embed the
video's in blogs?

The QA-side of a online tutorial is missing with video's, but there is
our QA website of course...

Egon

--
Dr E.L. Willighagen