I echo Egon's sadness.

Jean-Claude was years ahead of his time. He did what he considered right,
not what was expedient or what the world expected.

He and I discussed Open Data and Open Notebook Science. We found that they
were different things and that each was a critically important subject. J-C
set up a webpage on Wikipedia to describe ONS and its practice.

ONS is truly innovative. The research must be available to everyone -
regardless of who they are are or what they had studied. And it must be
fair - "no insider knowledge".

Several groups in chemistry are following J-C's lead - and we honour him in
that.

I have been invited to present a keynote on "Open Data" at Hinxton Genome
Campus tomorrow and shall make J-C's work the focus and inspiration.

I am truly glad we awarded him a Blue Obelisk. As a community we should
think how to take the message further.

P.

Peter Murray-Rust
Reader in Molecular Informatics