> John, what basis in the IUPAC rules leads you to this reading?

That the rules :-) - I did warn you it's madness. Read the original papers
CIP papers and the IUPAC document carefully.

from IUPAC

The rules are hierarchical, i.e., each rule must be exhaustively applied in
> the order given until a decision is reached:

from Prelog and Helmchen 1982:

Those atoms in the n-th sphere which are of equal rank with respect to
> those in the (n-1)th sphere to which they are bonded are graded by means of
> the sequence *rules and these are applied exhaustively in turn: first the
> entire hierarchical graph is examined by sequence rule 1. If a clear
> precedence over other ligands can be established, the examination of that
> particular ligand is concluded. If ligands remain whose rank is not
> provided by sequence rule **1, **then one uses sequence rule 2, once
> again exhaustively*, and so forth. While this procedure is in accordance
> with precepts published earlier“] it now makes clear, we hope, that a rank
> established for a sphere nearer to the core re- mains valid with respect to
> atoms in more distant spheres (Fig. 15).

ACD/ChemSketch is very good but I can't test in bulk/call as a library.
>From what I did test it appeared to be mostly complete.. but will not
compute labels for molecule with more than n rings in a ringset (I forget
the exact value). For the example above it gives the correct answer (i.e.
S).

John