I need to think more about it tomorrow, I think your logic is correct but I
wouldn't say it's critically important. You're conflating two procedures - a)
finding stereochemistry vs b) naming it. You only need CIP for b, a is more
efficiently and correctly handled with group theory.

"Everything looks like a nail to a man with a hammer"

- John