The line in question is this:

# test the gateway
if [ -n $GATEWAY -a -n "`/sbin/route -n | grep "^0.0.0.0" 2>/dev/null`"
]; then

When I run the route -n command in that line I get a single line
returned, and it looks similar to another box I run that is not having
these problems... What does the entire line checking for? I'm really
getting frustrated...

Jeff