== 1 of 1 ==
Date: Mon, Apr 10 2006 1:03 am
From: Jagannath Chatterjee

      Mercury-free health care
http://www.ecnnews.com/cgi-bin/15/etstory.pl?-sec-NHNews+fn-fn-fn-mercury.0409-20060409-fn+page_0
     "> -->
  The problem with mercury
  Mercury is a potent neurotoxin, a global priority pollutant and a PBT —
persistent bioaccumulative and toxic chemical.
  It persists in the environment for a long time; it is stored in animal
tissues in increasingly high concentrations up the food chain and is toxic in
small amounts. Exposure to mercury can damage the brain, spinal cord, kidneys
and liver. It also easily crosses the placenta, passing from mother to child.

  And even then mercury is present in vaccines given to little children. They
are also given to pregnant mothers. They continue to be used in dental fillings
and in a host of serum based medicines. Simply removing mercury from
thermometers and hospital toxic waste is no solution. - Jagannath

        (single page view)
(view as multiple pages)
By Suzanne Laurent
Staff writer

    writePage("DERRY — Thermometers, blood pressure machines, other diagnostic
instruments and some medicines — all containing mercury — have been used for
decades in hospitals.
  Ten years ago, a hospital employee might have tossed a broken thermometer
into a red bio-hazard bag for infectious waste, and it would then be sent to
the incinerator. But mercury, toxic in small amounts, persists in the
environment, and is stored in animal tissues. Exposure to mercury can damage
vital organs and be transmitted from mother to child during pregnancy. The very
items used to measure patients' vital signs could make them or the public sick
when those instruments were broken or disposed of improperly.
  A lot has changed in the past decade.
  Parkland Medical Center, an 86-bed hospital in Derry, was recently awarded
the 2006 Making Medicine Mercury Free Award, a national honor given by
Hospitals for a Healthy Environment.
  Other hospitals in the state, including Catholic Medical Center and the
Elliot Hospital, both in Manchester, have also collaborated with Hospitals for
a Healthy Environment, known as H2E, to become virtually mercury free.
  According to a 1997 Environmental Protection Agency study, medical
incinerators were the fourth largest source of man-made emissions into the
environment. The study found hospitals contributed about 5 percent of the total
wastewater mercury load in some areas, and mercury fever thermometers
contributed about 17 tons of mercury to solid-waste landfills annually.
  Hospitals for a Healthy Environment was launched in 1998, when the U.S.
Environmental Protection Agency and the American Hospital Association agreed to
work on health-care's contribution to mercury pollution and other serious
environmental concerns.
  In June 2000, then Gov. Jeanne Shaheen signed a bill regulating mercury-added
products. That made New Hampshire the first state in the country to enact a
statewide ban on the sale of mercury-containing thermometers without a
prescription. The ban became effective July 1, 2001.
  That same year, Parkland began its effort to stop using mercury-containing
products.
  "It was a big commitment," said Diane McNealy, director of environmental
services at Parkland. The hospital had to tell every one of its vendors to
eliminate all mercury-containing products, she said.
  Parkland's departments worked together to educate staff on the safe handling
and disposal of mercury; to inventory and label all chemicals, drugs and
devices; to assess opportunities for replacement and to implement policies
banning the purchase of mercury-containing items.
  "We worked with our vendors on an exchange program," said McNealy. "All
mercury products were replaced with nonmercury products. These included
thermometers and sphygmomanometers." A sphygmomanometer measures blood
pressure. McNealy said mercury-filled devices were exchanged at no cost to the
hospital or the patient.
  For centuries, mercury was the ideal choice for devices used to measure
temperature and pressure. It is the only common liquid metal, and its
usefulness stems from its combination of weight, ability to flow, electrical
conductivity, chemical stability, high boiling point and relatively low vapor
pressure.
  Mercury was also used in dilators — instruments slipped down a patient's
throat into the esophagus, and used for such conditions as acid reflux, or in
surgery or radiation. Because of its density and liquid state, mercury was used
in those instruments as a weight. Tungsten-filled dilators have now replaced
them. The life span of both is the same, but the tungsten dilators cost
approximately $40 more than the mercury-filled ones.
  In chemicals, including pharmaceuticals, mercury was used as a preservative.
And mercury was also used in electrical gauges and switches. A typical large
hospital might easily have contained over 100 pounds of mercury, incorporated
into hundreds of different devices in dozens of locations, according to a
report by Hospitals for a Healthy Environment.
  "By the end of 2003, Parkland was virtually mercury free," said McNealy.
"There are still things that have minute amounts of mercury, like fluorescent
light bulbs. We switched to green-tip fluorescent bulbs that have the lowest
grade of mercury."
  Parkland also upgraded its cleaning chemicals, lab equipment and thermostats.
  "In January of this year, we went through every department, and we applied
for the mercury-free award in February," said McNealy." We had to have all of
our documentation in place, with written policies about what we were doing in
each department."
  McNealy is also the hospital's hazardous waste coordinator, certified by the
state.
  "I educate everyone in the hospital," she said. "When the hospital has its
annual safety fair, I talk about paint, trash burning and mercury and how
things pollute the environment."
  Parkland uses Clean Harbors to recycle its hazardous waste. Infectious waste
is handled by Stericycle.
  "Regular trash goes to the landfill," McNealy said. "I even had to educate
the people at the transfer station. They thought we were dumping everything
there. I live two blocks from the hospital and I know people in Derry are
safe," McNealy said.
  Catholic Medical Center is designated as a Hospitals for a Healthy
Environment Partner for Change, according to Susan Dimick, spokeswoman for the
hospital. "This is a voluntary program in the movement towards environmental
sustainability in health care," she said. "CMC is very close to being
mercury-free, as virtually all mercury-containing medical devices and supplies
are mercury free, and mercury-containing facility equipment is identified,
inventoried and replaced as mercury free items become available."
  Dimick said Catholic Medical Center, a 330-bed full-service health-care
facility, has not yet filled out the documentation needed to apply for the
Making Medicine Mercury Free Award.
  The 296-bed Elliot Hospital has been working to ensure the facility is
mercury free for years, according to spokeswoman Susanna Whitcher. "This is an
effort that will never stop," she said. "We began work to become mercury free
in 1998. Elliot Hospital evaluated its equipment, its facilities and its
processes. We planned alternatives and then implemented a strategy that has,
over time, effectively eliminated mercury from all these sources."
  Elliot, like other mercury-free hospitals, is committed to staying mercury
free and has a purchasing policy that requires active consideration of the
presence of mercury when purchasing equipment.

  BOX
  The problem with mercury
  Mercury is a potent neurotoxin, a global priority pollutant and a PBT —
persistent bioaccumulative and toxic chemical.
  It persists in the environment for a long time; it is stored in animal
tissues in increasingly high concentrations up the food chain and is toxic in
small amounts. Exposure to mercury can damage the brain, spinal cord, kidneys
and liver. It also easily crosses the placenta, passing from mother to child.
  Source: Health and Hospitals for a Healthy Environment
[...]

    "Our ideal is not the spirituality that withdraws from life but the
conquest of life by the power of the spirit." -  Aurobindo.

---------------------------------

TOPIC: now there is a poll to outser me out
http://groups.google.com/group/BM_discussion/browse_thread/thread/f2487329216d2d34

== 1 of 1 ==
Date: Mon, Apr 10 2006 9:26 am
From: "[EMAIL PROTECTED]"

bharatiya yodhao
I dont know why gopal wants to do this but when i joined BM_mumbai,
gopal despite knowing that the founder of BM_mumbai has BJP background
didnt take any action
 as that was BM first active chapter and gopal happily benifitted from
it,and i have given my
life ,blood ,sweat to Bm thn gopal never told me to leave ,even in
BM_convention gopal benifitted from my contacts in BJP nd ABVP and i
had intimated to all
about my background but now as BM is very strong gopal is removing
anyone who opposes him and
now is my turn
After doing all hardwork for mumbai nd bm chapters is this what i
deserve,but  i still maintain
 that once BM reigesters as political i leave..
So what is ur decision.if i leave BM main wont it be a bad
sign for youth that the i am one of the few teenagers working for bm
being kicked out like this

 regard
amit chatterjee
mumbai

TOPIC: 7 new messages in 4 topics - digest
http://groups.google.com/group/BM_discussion/browse_thread/thread/872bf8f3a57c7550

== 1 of 2 ==
Date: Mon, Apr 10 2006 11:43 pm
From: "Abhieshek jain"

dear friends,

from last two three days i am viewing that we are discussing about our
proposed publication stategy so that we can spread our group among
more people, About our ideology that seperate us from political
group.(which may result in our mumbai fellow's removal from our group)
I welcome the idea of our friend to spread our group activities. in
form of a newspaper.This is a very effective way to promote our work
in the country.
he other view which we are discussing about our ideology surprise me today.
i do not think that we should remove our friend from the group because
he is associated with RSS or BJP.So what he is associated with any
political group. Every poltical party has its ideology for which they
have formed. (But now most of the politicians have forget their party
ideology, but it does not mean that amit has lost his ideology) Amit
is serving our group as a very active member in mumbai from past 10
months and i do not think that our group had any problem because of
his political status.We should condemn politics in our Group.because
he is from political background we fire him from our group is not
justified ,

A very important point i am mentioning is that we are not discussing
the topics related to our country from last some days.
Aligarh is burning in riots but till now i have not seen any
discussion or suggession to stop these riots.

Another topic: Our central government has announced a reservation in
education institutions. We have not received any activity done by any
chapter to condem the government dicision. I think this is the right
time to propogate our group in the country. All the chapter members
can start opposing the government decission by giving articles in news
papers, by doing satyagrah, by invition press confrence or by doing
march. When all the chapters will do the activities together  this
will be a very big news in the country and many other will join us to
condem our government's decision.Our industry is already with us.I
request our moderators to please start the activities in all the
chapters to condem the reservation issue .

Thanks
Abhieshek
(Gwalior)

--
abhieshek

== 2 of 2 ==
Date: Tues, Apr 11 2006 11:15 am
From: satya

Very Good points raised here by our friend Abhieshek......
Plz stop all the fuss about who should be in and who should be out....
Let concentrate about the work we do and discuss about current social
issues...

--
"|| bRaHmAiVa sAtYaM ||"

TOPIC: please look into these matters also
http://groups.google.com/group/BM_discussion/browse_thread/thread/35aa972f3f46b7b4

== 1 of 1 ==
Date: Mon, Apr 10 2006 6:17 pm
From: "[EMAIL PROTECTED]"

dear friends,

[...]

TOPIC: Plz take attention...!
http://groups.google.com/group/BM_discussion/browse_thread/thread/6bddc238b6b1356b

== 1 of 1 ==
Date: Tues, Apr 11 2006 7:09 am
From: "varpal singh"

Dear Brother and sisters....
                                             first of all great congrates to
the Pune Chapter to organise such a good and fruitful activity...it can also
be implemented in each city eaisly...good work.
            I want to request to the moderator or CPT team that....now in
the summer when examinations are over...On a suitable date and place all the
BM member should gather and organise a short conclave. the interaction among
the various member will surely boot the confidence of BM members..and also
practical problem can be solved out.
                    Please take serious attention towards this ...Because
whatever we are looking at *Amit_bombay controversy*       that problems can
me solved only when all people are sitting together and because BM is now
growing...we may have several plans and proposal to discuss...plz take
serious attention.
--
"Those who condemn politics to be the last resort of a scoundrel are bound
to be ruled by scoundrels' - Plato

If you agree with above quote, be a part of second freedom struggle of
India, Bharat Uday Mission at www.bharatudaymission.com

WE HAVE ONLY ONE PASSION,
THE RISE OF A GREAT NATION.

Jai Hind

Bharat Uday Mission, My INDIA

Varpal Singh

TOPIC: Assam heading for a Bangladeshi Majority
http://groups.google.com/group/BM_discussion/browse_thread/thread/da4466c283c3886f

== 1 of 1 ==
Date: Tues, Apr 11 2006 8:58 am
From: "Sourabh Bora"

Dear Frieds
    Assam is  a state of India which has only 14 seats in the parliament
and  we most of the times forget that it is a part of India. I wish to draw
your attention to a threat looming large on Assam.

Assam joined  India in the year 1826. During independence Assam almost went
to Pakistan inspite of a small muslim population, thanks to the step
motherly attitude of leaders like Nehru.  The attitude never ceased. The
influx of poverty striken Bangladeshis to the green and then prosperous
Assam was ignored and encouraged for vote.

And today my motherland is in a pathetic state. We may ignore Assam's
problem with our usual  "none our business" attitute. But, this is soon
going to turn into a Disaster for India also. Assam is no longer the
"green", "prosperous place" that attracted the Bangladeshis. The per capita
income has gone down from one of the highest in India to one of the lowest
(what else can you expect when Millions of hungry stomachs crowd a small
place?). Now they have started heading for mainland India. Their presence in
Delhi and Bombay is well known. Now even in Bangalore I have met
construction worker who speak the Bangladeshi language. Some even speak
Assamese, showing that Assam is becoming the transit point.

( Please note that Bangladesh being a muslim nation, the growth of
Bangladeshi can be  directly related to the growth of muslims. The
statistics below has nothing to do with the propaganda of the Hindutva camp
, its pure fact)

In 1911, the Muslim population in the then Barpeta  district, was only 1 per
cent of its total population. In 2001, it was found from the census report
that the Muslim population had increased to 59.36 per cent, thereby making
the Hindus (not Asomiyas alone) a minority community. According to the same
census report, the Muslims have become the majority in five districts:
Dhubri from 70.46 per cent in 1991 to 74.3 per cent; Goalpara from 50.18 per
cent in 1991 to 53.7 per cent; Karimganj from 49.17 per cent in 1991
to 52.3per cent; Hailakandi from
55.42 per cent in 1991 to 57.6 per cent; and Barpeta from 56.07 per cent in
1991 to 59.36 per cent. By 2005,Muslims also became the majoirty community
in another five districts: Darrang, Sonitpur, Nagaon, Marigaon and Cachar.
If the Muslims (minorities) had become the majority
 population in these districts through the normal growth rate of the Asomiya
Musalmans,we have nothing to grouse at all, as they too are an integral part
of the Asomiya society; but this situation has developed due to abnormal
growth rate of the illegally immigrant Bangladeshi population through a much
higher birth rate compared to the Hindus as well as Asomiya Musalmans and
unabated illegal influx.

Lets see how the population of Asom has been growing from 1971 to 2001 — on
religious basis:

 Religious groups 1971 1991 2001 2005 (Estimated)

Hindu 72.51% 67.13% 64.9% 62.5%
Muslim 24.56% 28.47% 30.9% 33%
Christian 2.61% 3.32% 3.7%
Sikh 0.08% 0.07% 0.08%
Buddhist 0.15% 0.29% 0.19%
Jain 0.09% 0.09% 0.09%

It may be noted that, during 1991-2001, Hindu population grew by 22.49 lakh,
with an annual growth rate of 1.49 per cent, whereas Muslim population rose
by 18.67 lakh, with an annual growth rate of 2.93 per cent, nearly double
the Hindu growth rate.

Even if you turn all your womenfolk to human producing machines this rate is
impossible to achieve.

Friends,please offer your support to the people  people of Assam who have
been as Indians as we all are for the last 200 years politically and
thousands of years culturally.

Thank you