Hi Bjoern,

        TLDR; I think we should try this - not because it is without potential
problems (I'll elaborate below), but because encouraging trying new
ideas is an important thing that we should be doing =) and quite
probably this is another great idea from you.

        And then of course a few concerns:

On 22/08/17 22:30, Bjoern Michaelsen wrote:> - TDF selects a small of
the tenderable topics (6 man days)
        Who selects that ?

> - TDF selects a "product owner" for the topic (could be an TDF
> employee or a qualified and motivated TDF member)

        I guess one current organizational problem is finding someone to take
ownership and/or responsibility, but I would hope that at first you can
take ownership =)

> - TDF hires 2 certified developers from LibreOffices companies for 3 days each

        One of the big problems here is open and transparent selection
criteria: what are they ? is this based on hourly rates or communication
skill, or domain programming expertise etc. ? With a fixed price tender
(assuming the tender was well specified) - it is all about price - which
is a single number; red-tape aside - I hope that is reasonably easy to
select. My other concern was privileging locations - such that travel /
accommodation cost become a significant part of the problem.

> - Controlling and the need to proof due diligence going away as it is
> performed
>   right in the open and self-documented, reducing the vast redtape needed to
>   set up and run tenders in the first place

        Having never been involved in the selection process I've not seen the
red-tape internally to TDF; but I have helped to write specifications -
which are often arrive in a tender-able state ready to be published.
Beyond that I guess there is the need for organizations to estimate &
provide bids which is some real effort though not made by TDF - and then
for TDF to decide and/or to select the lowest number surely ?

        ATB,

                Michael.

--
michael.me...@collabora.com <><, Pseudo Engineer, itinerant idiot