Hi Andreas, Paolo, all

El 23 de junio de 2022 1:44:39 p. m. GMT-03:00, Andreas Mantke <ma...@gmx.de>
escribió:
>Hi Paolo, all,
>
>my work on this topic is an offer to the LibreOffice community. I had to
>put some work in the update of the source code because a commercial free
>software company made some name changes in the source code of their fork
>to make it more difficult for the LibreOffice community.
>That is a behavior I'd not expect from a good citizen of a free software
>community. And if I look over the fence into another open source
>community they work more collaboratively and don't raise such barrier.
>But the difference may be that there is not only one big player in the
>room and more diversity in the development community (and among the free
>software companies).

Have to say Thank You for your work and also for sharing those serious issues.
I do agree with your take about needing a more diverse development community.
That idea was raised in the last term and received a "non-coders can't talk"
almost inmediately, glad to know people doesn't see pink elephants flying.

>I'm curious if other want join me in my efforts and like to share some
>ideas how to proceed LOOL further.
>In my opinion the online version with collaboration features is a
>necessary development line for the future of LibreOffice and its
>community. If TDF drop this line it will decline the importance of
>LibreOffice and its community further (with appropriate consequences
>e.g. in donations).

The pandemic placed great emphasis on the need for an alternative to
proprietary tools. And TDF should not be left out.

>Regards,
>Andreas
>
>Am 23.06.22 um 17:09 schrieb Paolo Vecchi:
>> Hi Andreas,
>>
>> thank you for letting us know that you are working on it.
>>
>> Ideally it would be great to have a few developers working on it,
>> especially to fix known security issues, and sufficient activity to
>> make it viable.

IMO, an open repo will attract several people from all around the world.

>> It is true that LOOL has been in a kind of limbo. The repository has
>> been frozen "temporarily" but it kind of became a permanent situation.
>>
>> In your opinion, would reopening the repository for 12 months provide
>> enough time for a community to form around it?
>>
>> It would require warnings until all the security bugs have been fixed
>> and that it might not be well maintained until we see constant and
>> sufficient activity but it could be an option to make it up for the
>> longer than expected temporary freeze of the repository.
>>
>> If after 12 months we don't see much activity then we could be certain
>> that the community is not really interested in working on LOOL.

The community will certainly show their love & passion for LO.

>> It would be great to know if others have other
>> takes/options/alternatives on this subject.

Every organization needs a tool that provides solidity while responding to
daily needs, but above all that allows it to collaborate in its development
without any limitations or impediments. So, do you know any organization
commited to eliminate the digital divide in society by giving everyone access
to office productivity tools free of charge, to enable them to participate as
full citizens???