On 08-Dec-2010 3:07 PM, Bernd Machenschalk wrote:

> If I understand correctly, the CPU capabilities are reported by recent clients
> in <p_features> in the scheduler request.
> 1. This tag was added with a certain version of the BOINC client, right? Do
> you
> happen to know in which version this was introduced?

It was added on 19 Mar 2007; it probably appeared in the first 6.x release.

> 2. If I'm not mistaken there was a different mechanism how older clients
> reported CPU features (was this in <p_model>?). Would this information be
> available to a plan class selection, too?

Yes; before 6.x the features were listed in p_model, as follows:
x86 Family 6 Model 8 Stepping 6 [x86 Family 6 Model 8 Stepping 6] [fpu sse mmx]

This info is available to app_plan(); I'll update the sse example to look for it
if p_features is blank.

> 3. Am I right that for a plan class a missing <p_features> tag is
> indistinguishable from a present but empty <p_features> list, i.e. it can't
> distinguish between a client incapable of reporting the CPU features that way
> and a CPU without special features? Or is there a feature reported that should
> be present in _every_ CPU that a BOINC client runs on, e.g. "FPU"?

All CPUs have features but there's no guarantee that the OS
or the BOINC client reports them correctly.
Checking p_features and then p_model is the best you can do.

-- David