Thanks.  Before committing this, I want to make sure it works.
The strange thing is, UTF8 characters seem to work for me
even without this change; for example, see
http://isaac.ssl.berkeley.edu/test/forum_thread.php?id=56
http://isaac.ssl.berkeley.edu/test/forum_thread.php?id=44#111

Is this because of my MySQL settings?
(note the character_set_system)

mysql> show variables like 'character_set%';
Variable_name: character_set_client
         Value: latin1
*************************** 2. row ***************************
Variable_name: character_set_connection