I'm running 7.0.65 on 12.04LTS_64bit and can't remember any difficulties
with it's installation. But I just installed it over an existing
installation of a previous build.
It's running on a special partition just for BOINC (20GB), and all data
are there on that partition as well.
IIRC I've installed 7.0.65 over some older version, if the data are
right with the DLed file it was 29 Mai 2013 19:20:10 CEST, and, again
iirc, I didn't lose any data.
At least my running CPDN-WU obviously didn't crush at that date
(http://climateapps2.oucs.ox.ac.uk/cpdnboinc/results.php?hostid=1061141).

What I did was this:
DL the package to the folder it should be installed in and stopped BOINC.
Run sudo sh boinc_7.0.65_x86_64-pc-linux-gnu.sh in a terminal in that
folder.
It installed itself in the existing folder.
Restart BOINC by double-clicking "run_manager" in the folder.
Everything was fine.

What I don’t remember is, which version I installed first on 12.04LTS,
back in 2012, whether it had been the (usually outdated) package from
the software-center, or just an older version with sh, or if I even just
used the old, installed, version from of the previous install,
10.04LTS_64, that was still on the special partition.