To add an example see this Seti beta post
http://setiweb.ssl.berkeley.edu/beta/forum_thread.php?id=2100&postid=49613#49613and
the follow-up

To summarise, the client suddenly had a new feature that defaulted to on,
with nil documentation on what it actually does and how it is different
from similar features.

As Jord pointed out you are trying to 'sell' a product. If the user
experience is bad you lose a user. If it's very bad you lose the user's
family, friends and collegues too: 'I tried that one and it was sooo bad,
and I couldn't even get rid of it properly'.

You moan about falling user levels? This is where you lose some of them.
Good PR could gain you some.