From: boinc_dev [mailto:boinc_dev-boun...@ssl.berkeley.edu] On Behalf Of
Richard Haselgrove
Sent: Thursday, August 07, 2014 12:42 PM
To: BOINC Dev MailingList
Subject: [boinc_dev] Feature request: discovery installed version of BOINC

My request is for the Windows operating system, but it may be applicable to
other OSs as well.

Context: I am writing an updated installation program to deliver anonymous
platform applications to volunteers' BOINC installations. Each time we release
an updated version, we observe something of the order of 30,000 user downloads
- we suspect the number of hosts involved is significantly higher, and we don't
track all mirror site download numbers.

I am being pressured to provide selective installation on the basis of the
BOINC version and mode (service/user) encountered. I can access program and
data locations by querying the registry for INSTALLDIR and DATADIR
respectively, and I can also check for the presence of a BOINC service (whether
it is running or stopped).

If BOINC is running, I could query the client with an RPC, or - less elegantly,
but simpler - pipe the response to a boinccmd -V into a file and parse that.
But where is the version number of a stopped instance?

For the future, could it be added to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Space Sciences
Laboratory, U.C. Berkeley\BOINC Setup by your installer, please?

And if anybody could answer the 'stopped instance' question in the near future,
I'd be grateful.

[later: boinccmd reports:

C:\BOINC>boinccmd -V
boinccmd,  built from BOINC 7.2.42

Is that really the running client version, as the documentations says, or its