Hi David,

In https://boinc.berkeley.edu/dev/forum_thread.php?id=9569 user
"Grandpa" reports that he has found a big discrepancy between credit
given out to AMD CPUs versus credit given out to Intel CPUs, at the
Numberfields project.

I'll quote his last post on this:

--------
AMD Opteron(TM) Processor 6276 [Family 21 Model 1 Stepping 2]
(64 processors)
Total runtime 100 WU's 1810010.65 Total points 100 WU's 26128.8 Grandma 6276 AMD
Avg runtime per WU sec. 18100.1065 avg points per WU 261.288 3042Mhz
Avg runtime per WU min. 301.6684416667
Avg runtime per WU hr. 5.0278073611 avg points per hr runtime 51.9685781959

Genuine Intel(R) CPU @ 2.70GHz [Family 6 Model 45 Stepping 5]
(64 processors)
Total runtime 100 WU's 1839477.54 Total points 100 WU's 38003.75 Musky
4650 Intel
Avg runtime per WU sec. 18394.7754 avg points per WU 380.0375 3134Mhz
Avg runtime per WU min. 306.57959
Avg runtime per WU hr. 5.1096598333 avg points per hr runtime 74.3762818653

OK but it still does not change the fact that this type of credit
system has a pretty big flaw in it. According to the developer at
Numberfields each of the machines above are doing the same amount of
work and lets say that each WU is worth 1 FLOPS since the numbers were
averaged over 100 WU's each and all things being equal those 2
machines should have received roughly the same amount of credit with a
slight advantage going to the AMD, but in actuality AMD is receiving
30% less.

I do not really see this as being a fair credit system to the AMD
users when it come to certain types of work.

AMD 100 WU's = 100 FLOPS = 502.78 hrs of runtime = 26706.79 points of
credit for 100 theoretical FLOPS

Intel 100 WU's = 100 FLOPS = 510.96 hrs of runtime = 38003.74 points
of credit for 100 theoretical FLOPS

So in plain simple terms AMD gets less credit for doing the same
amount of work as Intel does. I am just pointing out a pretty big flaw
in the current credit system, from everything I have read and been
told this system was set up to promote equality between all work done
and to try and discourage cheating, It appears to me that it may have
missed it's mark when in the equality field and they may need to go
back to the drawing board and try and fix the problem or at least let
people know that the credit system has a problem with some projects.
--------

I seem to remember that Seti has a similar problem, but the finer
details escape me.

Perhaps that (more) knowledgeable people can explain the discrepancy/difference?

Thanks,

-- Jord van der Elst.