Sorry, I only posted this to David yesterday.
"the problem only happens in Private Messages.
E.g. this post at Seti
https://setiathome.berkeley.edu/forum_thread.php?id=76697&postid=1639743
has a start log that scrolls separately from the rest of the text in
the thread, and does so both on my phone and my PC.

So we'll probably have to figure out why it won't do that then in
private messages.
Some different CSS used there?"

-- Jord van der Elst.