I wish that GPUgrid (and Rosetta, Einstein etc.) would upgrade their server
code.
It's easier than they think it is, and it would make their lives easier.

On 13-Feb-2015 4:14 PM, Jacob Klein wrote:
Hallelujah! This is the right call. Now, when a GPU task needs a full CPU core
keep itself fed, it won't have to compete against the CPU-only tasks. Hurray!
::does
funky nerd dance::  Now POEM can properly set their GPU apps to use 1.0 CPU, and
it'll work correctly!

Now, just so you know, I believe that GPUGrid is breaking new ground with old
server
code. They have a new beta app they're testing, where the app itself is set up
as an
MT app, but it also requires an AMD GPU to run it. It's the first ever "MT +
GPU"
hybrid app that I've ever seen or heard of, and I think they're using the
MT-style
"app plan class shtuff etc." to pull it off. And they're not going to upgrade
server
code any time soon, from what they've said.

I don't have an AMD GPU, and so I haven't tested it, but I wanted you to be
aware of
its existence. It's an oddball. Perhaps one day I'll get an AMD GPU in this
rig, so
I can test it. I love testing oddballs.

Thanks for making the code change here.

Sincerely,
Jacob

 > Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2015 16:07:00 -0800
 > From: da...@ssl.berkeley.edu
 > To: jacob_w_kl...@msn.com; r.haselgr...@btopenworld.com
 > CC: boinc_dev@ssl.berkeley.edu
 > Subject: Re: [boinc_dev] set app priority
 >
 > I checked in a change that will run coprocessor jobs at BELOW_NORMAL,
 > even if they use >= 1 CPU.
 > -- David
 >
 > On 29-Jan-2015 1:28 PM, Jacob Klein wrote:
 > > David,
 > >
 > > I expect coprocessor jobs (including gpu jobs), to be set at a higher
priority than
 > > cpu jobs, in order to keep those "other devices" fed. It has a meaningful
impact on
 > > the task completion times, for GPU tasks as well as ASIC tasks.
 > >
 > > I still maintain that it should be set as:
 > > If (coprocessor job)
 > > ... set process priority to BELOW_NORMAL_PRIORITY_CLASS (which I think
uses default
 > > thread prio of 6 on Windows)
 > > Else (cpu job)
 > > ... set process priority to IDLE_PRIORITY_CLASS (which I think uses
default thread
 > > prio of 4 on Windows)
 > >
 > > We already do this today, except as Richard mentioned, we are erroneously
making
 > > "full-cpu-core GPU tasks" get bumped to the lower priority, affecting my
ability to
 > > keep my GPUs loaded, and thus affected task completion time.
 > >
 > > Could we please change it to "detect that it's a coprocessor job" somehow,
when
 > > determining priorities, per my recommendation above?
 > > I understand your concern about this, but keep in mind these priorities
are all
 > > lower than NORMAL_PRIORITY_CLASS.
 > >
 > > So, can we please fix it?

 > > Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2015 20:59:06 +0000
 > > From: r.haselgr...@btopenworld.com
 > > Subject: Re: [boinc_dev] set app priority
 > > To: da...@ssl.berkeley.edu; jacob_w_kl...@msn.com
 > > CC: boinc_dev@ssl.berkeley.edu
 > >
 > > Maybe we're simply using the wrong discriminant to choose which priority
to set.

 > > You note that some GPU apps perform poorly at idle priority.
 > >
 > > But at present we're determining their GPU-ness, not directly, but
indirectly by
 > > their fractional CPU assignment.
 > >
 > > There are other GPU apps, apart from the POEM example, where a full 1.00
CPU
Einstein@Home
 > > OpenCL application for imtel_gpu is a case in point.
 > >
 > > Would it not be possible to determine the required priority directly from
the 'use
 > > GPU' definition instead, and ignore the CPU fraction?

GPUGrid