From: Christian Beer [mailto:christian.b...@aei.mpg.de]
Sent: Thursday, February 25, 2016 3:09 PM
To: BOINC Developers Mailing List <boinc_dev@ssl.berkeley.edu>
Cc: Rom Walton <r...@romwnet.org>
Subject: automatic filename extension in windows wrapper

Hi,

we have a use case where we want to use the wrapper to deploy a legacy
application. The application is bundled in a zip archive that is extracted by
the wrapper into the slot directory. This application is called "LegacyApp" and
"LegacyApp.exe" on Linux and Windows respectively. Now comes the problem. We
want t include the job.xml file as part of the workunit not the appversion.
This way we can only set one name "LegacyApp" which causes problems because for
an unknown reason Windows 7 will not start a file without the .exe extension.

I looked through the code and found a place
(https://github.com/BOINC/boinc/blob/master/samples/wrapper/wrapper.cpp#L633)
where we could add some more logic to detect such a case and add the ".exe"
extension. Something like: if on windows and app_path does not exist try
app_path+".exe"

Another possibility would be to also add the .exe extension to the linux
executable but who want's to do that? And remember it later when we wonder why
we fixed a Windows Problem on Linux.

Any thoughts on that?

Regards
Christian