Hi Toby,

Thanks for your input.

>From how I understand it . . .

BOINC tries to honor your resource share. When BOINC runs, it looks at your
list of downloaded tasks, and does a couple "round robin simulations" to
project what would happen if it'd schedule them according to resource share.

You can see these simulations yourself, actually, with the right debug flags.
Use Options > Event Log Options > .... and turn on "rr_simulation", then
inspect the Event Log. For even more detail, you can turn on "rrsim_detail" as
well, but I don't think that level of detail is relevant for inspection here.

Every minute, BOINC re-evaluates the run list, as can be seen by
"rr_simulation". For some of the tasks, you might see "projected to miss
deadline." Those are the tasks that, if BOINC ran your projects' tasks by
project resource share alone, these tasks would miss the deadline ... so the
scheduler actually PRIORITIZES those to run IMMEDIATELY (in something called
"earliest deadline first EDF" mode), ahead of any non-miss-tasks.

Note: These "high priority, EDF, deadline miss" tasks used to show as "high
priority" in the UI, but that was removed because users confused that with
"process run priorities".

Regarding task estimates, sometimes it takes a client time (in the form of
several completed tasks), to get better estimates on how long a task will
really take to run. Usually, if the client gets 10 or more tasks of a given app
version, then the estimates get better... and rr_simulation gets better.

I would suggest you find out which app versions you have bad estimates on, and
see how many tasks your device has done for that app version... and if the
device has done enough, and the estimates are still way off, contact the
project to see how they can help.

Long story short:  If no tasks are deadline miss, BOINC should be honoring your
resource share. If tasks are deadline miss, BOINC prioritizes those ahead of
resource share.

Regards,
Jacob Klein