I'll be heading out of town for a couple days and won't be able to
post most likely till I get back.  However, recent posts have been
very interesting and I have some thoughts I'll post when I can.  Keep
up the conversations while I'm gone!

Also, I'm still thinking hard about whether or not we should use the
current skin importing mechanism or just start using plugins, as Linly
has demonstrated.  (Linly--I was unable to access your zip file, could
you email it to me?).  One consideration is that many skins have
images, often with similar names like background.gif or whatever. So
we do need a way to handle these. Suggesting our current approach is
probably better. It also dawned on me we could make the skin
file-importing routine a bit smarter to just import everything that
looks like a page, ie everything that doesn't end in .jpg, .jpeg,
.gif, .html, .css, .txt, etc. (configurable). This fails to  keep
skins and plugins as two separate mechanisms, of course.

On the other hand, one advantage (?) of switching to a plugins like
approach is the ability to reinstall a skin and overwrite it to make
changes. (Of course you could probably uninstall a skin and then
reinstall it).  And it makes it easier for developers to tweak a skin
and then simply create a backup file in seconds. And it occurs to me,
if a backup file, gif's and the like could be put in files/skin/sky
directories or the like--though that's a slightly more time consuming
process. Lot's of possibilities. Just fishing for ideas and input
before making some kind of decision as there are pro's and con's to
both approaches.

Cheers,
Dan

--~--~---------~--~----~------------~-------~--~----~
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"BoltWire" group.
To post to this group, send email to [email protected]
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to [EMAIL PROTECTED]
For more options, visit this group at 
http://groups.google.com/group/boltwire?hl=en
-~----------~----~----~----~------~----~------~--~---

Reply via email to