On Thu, Dec 18, 2008 at 6:53 AM, alinome.net <[email protected]> wrote: > >> I've been busy doing more site reorganization. Both the docs and the >> solutions. > > Dan, it looks a great improvement, congrats! It's been an impressive > change. Now everything is much easier to find.
Thanks for taking a look. There's a fair bit of new content as I updated some pages along the way, but it's definitely a work in progress. >> Please take a look and let me know what you think. I've very pleased >> with the docs, but the solutions still need a bit more work I think > > I'll read all these days, but at first sight I see these things: Great! Thanks for looking over my shoulder. Feel free to touch things up, or propose changes. The solutions.links.linkrot page gives a list of all the orphaned links that need to be updated... I've been knocking them out whenever I get a minute to spare. > 1) Where are the tutorials? Are you going to integrate them into the > new hierarchy or will they be apart as before? They are all there. I just merged the docs and tutorials, and skipped a hierarchy level. Or replaced it, really with a more hierarchical structure, with topics, sub topics, etc. Works much better. You'll notice also that all the pages in the Starting Out and Handbook sections can be found in the docs hiearchy, so it's all together in one place. The functions/commands, etc, are also all hard linked to the corresponding developers section. That's the place we really need to go through and add content. Even just someone going through the various functions, scanning the code, and listing any parameters they see. It would help a lot. > 2) It seems you forgot to remove the old main.glossary and its > automatic linking. The new static docs.glossary is better, because no > spurious links will appear in the docs. Actually, I just neglected to reset the hotlinks to the new docs.glossary page. That is corrected now. The links are pretty invisible. I hardly even see them, so don't mind them too much. If we need to change the list of terms recognized, let me know. > 3) I suggest to simplify the solutions link en the side bar: from > "Click here to view BoltWire skins, plugins, backups and other FREE > extensions." to "Skins, plugins, backups and other FREE extensions." Good idea. I changed it to "Tricks, skins, plugins, and other FREE extensions." since new users won't grok what a backup is at first. I think this captures better the idea behind this section of the site. We definitely need more & better skins. I need to do a tutorial on how to create skins. Guess we need a tutorial on skin conversions... Interesting how having these skins in the solutions area like this reinforces the idea of installing skins as regular plugins. perhaps with an additonal zip download for graphics that would go in the files directory. This idea really appeals to me... (Thanks Linly) > And a new idea for your consideration: A page called "BoltWire show > off" or something, to list links, with a short comment, to sites made > with BoltWire. That could be encouraging for newcomers, to see what > can be achieved. I started the main.stories page awhile back, but only got 2 entries. I thought that might be more discouraging than encouraging to new users. Maybe when we get a little bit bigger community. :) Cheers Dan P.S. Two other changes worth mentioning: the forum and blog are gone. I enjoyed the blog but didn't keep up with it. And the forum wasn't well monitored. The list seems better. Any interest in seeing these restored? --~--~---------~--~----~------------~-------~--~----~ You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "BoltWire" group. To post to this group, send email to [email protected] To unsubscribe from this group, send email to [email protected] For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/boltwire?hl=en -~----------~----~----~----~------~----~------~--~---
