--- In [email protected], Tabatha <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> It's been a while since I've read this, but I didn't feel like she 
was insane at all!  I think the point of the book is that she is not 
evil at all, and maybe Glinda and Dorothy are the beneficiaries of 
revisionist history.  And it has only a very loose relationship with 
the movie since this movie itself has a loose relationship with the 
original book.
>   I can't say I liked all of his books though.  I didn't care for 
Lost at all.
>   I just got Son of a Witch, the sequel for Christmas.  I'll be sure 
to let you know what I think.
> -tabby90
>   
> > ---------------------------------


The reason I felt she had lost her mind was based on her fixation on 
the shoes, her withdrawal into her own mind (that time at the maunt 
which I equated with a convent), her disinterest her child (Liir), and 
ok I'm an animal rights activist, I just couldn't understand the 
experimenting with grafting wings on monkeys when one of the themes of 
the story was ANIMAL rights within society.  That seemed at odds with 
the political rights of ANIMALS theme set forth earlier in the book.

Plus she strenuously rejected becoming an adept (I realize she felt 
coerced and manipulated) but later becomes a witch.  I may have missed 
the point but the transition to being a witch seemed more contrived 
than logical.

I really wanted her to avenge her lover's death as up to that point I 
saw her as a strong person inspite of the disadvantage of her 
appearance.  So the withdrawal into herself really threw me.  Plus, I 
don't think Magquire conveyed her pain of loss very well.  He pointed 
to her pain situationally and behavorally but I didn't "feel" for 
Elphaba.  It all seemed so detached.

Actually, I thought there was a very good story possibility just about 
the political rights of ANIMALS and Elphaba as an underground activist 
who campaigned against the Wizard etc.  It probably would have been 
better to have created an entirely original story rather than use Oz as 
a backdrop.  





Have you told a friend today? http://bookcrossing.com/tellafriend

Archives and email list settings:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BookCrossing



 
Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BookCrossing/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
    [EMAIL PROTECTED]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
 


Reply via email to