Well, since the required buffer will have the same size on every process, this is a very good question indeed.
I just trusted the comments on that one.
I'll have a closer look shortly (or maybe someone with better knowledge can answer that one) but you're right, we can probably get rid of point to point on that one. The only draw back I can think of is that the communication of the size will act as a barrier. Not sure if this is a real world problem though.

Cheers

Alain