GSoC Admins, Steering Committee Members,

I’d like to put this on boost.org and cppnow.org this week. Please review the
wording and send your comments:

Boost has participated in the Google Summer of Code program for a decade. This
program allows college students to have a paid summer internship working on
open source projects. Because the students that work on Boost libraries tend to
stay with the same libraries summer after summer, the continuity of this
program is important to Boost and to the students that work on Boost projects.

This continuity was threatened this year when Google rejected Boost’s
application for GSoC participation. This was not because of the quality of our
application (Boost has traditionally been a model GSoC participant), but was
the result of a policy of to make room for some new open source projects to
participate in GSoC. This is Google’s program and they need to develop policies
that are best for their program. But this policy would mean no summer
internships for Boost and leave students that have been working on Boost
libraries looking for other alternative for the summer of 2016.

When IMC Financial Markets learned about this situation, they saw it as an
opportunity to support the Boost community and demonstrate their commitment to
student development and open source.

IMC worked with Boost to create its own “Boost Summer of Code” program,
deliberately patterned after Google’s program. IMC also stepped up to
underwrite all the costs of this program for the summer of 2016.

We thank IMC for their support and community leadership.

Thanks.

Jon