On 11/03/16 18:25, Herb Sutter wrote:
> +Detlef,Jeremy for lists.isocpp.org migration+upgrade planning
>
> BTW, I think Boost and WG21 reflectors (lists.isocpp.org) are encountering
> identical problems.
And lots of other lists as well :-(

> Let me sanity-check as this will help us both get this right… My
> understanding is that there are two distinct issues:
>
> 1. Moving from Indiana: Boost and WG21 reflectors have been hosted at
> Indiana, and our host has left so we need to move them. For Boost, I
> understand you is looking at moving to Ciere; that’s up to you of course. For
> WG21, we are moving lists.isocpp.org to the same webhost as the rest of
> isocpp.org; our plan is to do that migration over the U.S. Thanksgiving
> holiday, and Jeremy (who runs isocpp.org) is in communication with DongInn
> (Indiana IT), to complete this.
This is my understanding as well.

> 2. Upgrading to Mailman (2.1.18 or later): IIUC Boost and WG21 reflectors are
> using an older version of Mailman and this problem would be resolved with a
> newer version. See https://wiki.list.org/DEV/DMARC where IIUC the correct
> option we would use is “munge” as encouraged in DMARC Support in Mailman
> <http://www.spamresource.com/2016/09/dmarc-support-in-mailman.html>  – does
> that match your understanding? For WG21, the plan is that after we finish the
> #1 move and are stable, we’ll look at upgrading Mailman to 2.1.18 or later,
> hopefully before the end of the year, and turn on the “munge” option.
Generally yes.
But there are two open issues with this:
 - Is the "munge" option compatible with our (WG21) use of "Reply-To:"?
   I hope to get a test list once the WG21 reflectors were moved
   so I can check this.
 - Is the munge option in the same form (at least with the same result)
   available in Mailman 3?  I assume so, but haven't checked yet.

For background on Mailman 3:
<https://wiki.list.org/DEV/DMARC>:
"This is what we propose for Mailman 3.  Any of this could change."

<https://wiki.list.org/Mailman3>:
"Mailman 3 is architected and released quite differently than Mailman 2.1."
"While it is possible to upgrade existing Mailman 2.1 lists to run on
Mailman 3, we are not yet officially sanctioning it. The plan is to
officially support upgrades with Mailman 3.1..."

I'm sure we have to switch Mailman 3 at some time, as security updates
for 2.1 might not be available anymore, but I don't want to switch to
Mailman 3 now.  And I don't want to change the user experience again...

  Detlef