On Tuesday, July 22, 2003, at 8:51 AM, Paul A. Bristow wrote:

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Daryle Walker
Sent: Saturday, July 19, 2003 8:38 AM
To: Boost
Subject: [boost] Slight revision to more-I/O

The iostate saving and iomanip seem fine, but I am left uncertain on how to use the stream buffer class in practice. More user-oriented documentation, tests and examples would be helpful. (And also there seem to be differing, perhaps competing, perhaps conflicting, offerings in filtering/decorating stream buffers).

You've looked at the revised version, right? (A lot of the changes between the original and revised versions were based on previous reviews, so I don't want to answer questions on the first version if it was already fixed in the second. Note that changes that would have involved greatly changing the API weren't/won't-be done.)

The State-saving I/O stuff has already gone in; it was reviewed over a year ago. (I don't know why almost everyone is thinking it's being re-reviewed?) The I/O manipulator is part of this review.

Which stream-buffer class are you talking about, array-wrappers or the stream-wrapping helpers? The stream-wrapping helpers are just that; you would define your own stream-buffer class then semi-automate the corresponding stream classes with the helper classes. You'll have to manually write the constructors and forwarding functions yourself since they're open-ended. The docs for the stream-wrappings now has a long example that also includes alternate techniques. The array-wrappers are also example of the wrapping technique. Those array-wrappers can be used to help limit the amount of dynamic storage in a program (since it doesn't use any).

I checked out some of the filtering/decorating stuff; they have nothing to do with the stuff in this review, in terms of main features. However, the stream adaptations of the filtering stream-buffers use a manual version of the stream-wrapping technique. It looks like there is a case to encapsulate this idiom with actual helper classes (since I'm not the only one using it).

Daryle