On Thu, Dec 6, 2018 at 7:32 AM Andreas Färber <afaer...@suse.de> wrote:

> Am 05.12.18 um 05:17 schrieb Rob Herring:
> > On Tue, Dec 4, 2018 at 7:22 PM Andreas Färber <afaer...@suse.de> wrote:
> >>
> >> Rob,

> >> This refactoring is a terrible idea!
> >
> > How do you really feel?
> >
> >> While it would've been nice to have more structure from the start,
> >> bootloaders like U-Boot expect a flat structure for arm .dtb files now.
> >> If you start installing them into subdirs instead, they won't find the
> >> files anymore under the hardcoded name.
> >>
> >> Doing this only for new platforms would be much less invasive and allow
> >> to prepare bootloaders accordingly.
> >
> > That was my suggestion where this started for the new RDA platform.
> > Olof preferred to move everything and that's my desire too.
> >
> >> Alternatively, white-list which ones
> >> are safe to move around.
> >
> > I'd prefer to know which ones the distros don't want moved. That
> > should be easier to figure out. We also need that anyways in context
> > of what platforms we care about compatibility.
> >
> > Another option is dtbs_install target could flatten the installed
> > dtbs. That is the only part the distros should depend on.
>
> I'd be okay with distinguishing source vs. install location. Due to the
> issue I mention below (and more) we can't use install_dtbs for openSUSE
> and had to reimplement it, which we'd need to (and can) adjust.

What would be needed for dtbs_install to work? arm64 needs to support
a flat install? If it doesn't work for Debian or openSUSE, I'm not
sure why we have it. So I'd like to make it work.

> >> But don't just script a refactoring because it
> >> looks nicer in the source tree, without testing what side effects this
> >> can have for board/distro users of the compiled files in practice.
> >> We already had that discussion for arm64 because Debian chose to ignore
> >> the kernel-installed subdirectories and installed .dtb files into a flat
> >> directory, which collided with openSUSE sticking to the kernel choice.
> >
> > So everyone already deals with subdirs or not with arm and arm64
> > already, seems like they can deal with this. I will raise the topic on
> > the cross-distro list though.
>
> Sounds like you're twisting words... The keyword was "hardcoded" paths -
> one way or another (not "and") depending on the kernel choices being
> flat for arm, vendor subdir for arm64.
>
> >> This topic becomes even more important with EBBR: There is neither a
> >> mechanism in place to sync .dts files into U-Boot or EDK2 source trees,
> >> nor are capsule updates implemented in U-Boot for easily deploying such
> >> bootloaders with new .dts sources or paths yet.
> >
> > EBBR actually says firmware (including dtbs) goes in directories named
> > by vendor.
>
> Fine, but unrelated.

If the distros want dtbs in a flat dir and EBBR says otherwise, then
it is related.

> >> And I can assure you
> >> that just getting users to dd the right bootloader can be difficult...
> >> Since DT forward and backward compatibility is often being neglected,
> >> for example with optional properties or renamed compatibles that break
> >> booting with previous drivers, new kernel versions often need updated
> >> Device Trees to make use of new/enhanced drivers. Therefore it is
> >> unfortunately often enough a necessity to load newer kernel-based .dtb
> >> files matching the kernel (as opposed to the dream of kernel-independent
> >> hardware descriptions) when working with the latest -rc or -next kernels
> >> at least. For examples of DTs needing updates, look no further than
> >> Linaro's 96boards - in case of hikey960/EDK2 GRUB is another layer where
> >> .dtb paths may be hardcoded, ditto for arm; and Armada was an example
> >> where the upstream bindings for the network IP changed incompatibly.
> >
> > Compatibility is an issue, yes, but that really has nothing to do with this.
> >
> >> DT overlays are another topic that is not making any progress upstream
> >> according to the ELCE BoF, so beyond the Raspberry Pi the only known
> >> working way to apply them is to write a U-Boot boot.scr script, which
> >> can either reuse $fdtcontroladdr DT or use the filename $fdtfile or
> >> hardcode one, the latter two of which would break with your renaming.
> >
> > DT overlays also have nothing to do with this as there aren't any in
> > the kernel. I'm not inclined to take any either with a flat tree.
> > We're already at 1800+ files.
>
> Read again: a) Breaking DT changes and b) the desire to use Overlays
> instead of replacing the bootloaders for each change are _reasons_ why
> people depend on .dtb filenames from the kernel source tree for their
> boot flow today. Nothing to do with downstream .dtbo files.
>
> For example, remember when I reported that the kernel didn't compile DTs
> with -@? No reaction except for Frank asking to be CC'ed - was it ever
> fixed??? Do EDK2's or U-Boot's built-in DTs compile with -@ today?

IIRC, Frank objected to changing this globally because it will bloat
all dtbs. And then no one did the work to make it a per dtb option.
Maybe that was the same issue in another thread.