We have a speaker, signed up over a week in advance!  Thanks David. This is
a Happy New Year.

This should be a great topic - and a demonstration that Perl is not dead,
but actually more pro-active secure than platforms for other Web
frameworks. We can use this in conversation!

Now accepting speakers for Feb - May :-)
Make a resolution now to present once in the new year?

bill

On Sun, Jan 1, 2012 at 12:14 PM, David Larochelle <
david.richard.laroche...@gmail.com> wrote:

> If you don't already have a speaker, I'd be happy to talk about the
> multi-language DoS issue that you mentioned. I've been an application
> security guy in the past (although I've been purely a developer for the
> last few years) and I wouldn't mind an excuse to research a security issue
> again. If you give me a reasonable lead time, I'm confident that I could
> put together a presentation explaining the hash DoS vulnerability.
>
> --
>
> David Larochelle
>

> On Sat, Dec 31, 2011 at 1:16 AM, Bill Ricker <bill.n1...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I am unavailable on the tenth, but I have confirmed the room.
>>
>> Sean Quinlan s...@quinlan.org has agreed to act as Facilitator. RSVP to
>> him
>> next weekend/week.  Folks working on something should volunteer to speak
>> for a minute or an hour  to him.
>>
>> We still need a speaker.
>>
>> Perhaps someone would like to explain the "new" multi-language web DoS
>> threat that doesn't affect Perl (but affects Python & PHP).
>>
>> http://www.nruns.com/_downloads/advisory28122011.pdf
>> http://web.nvd.nist.gov/view/vuln/detail?vulnId=CVE-2011-4885
>> https://isc.sans.edu/diary.html?storyid=12286
>> http://www.hnsearch.com/search#request/all&q=hash+collision
>>
>> Reported 2003
>> http://www.cs.rice.edu/~scrosby/hash/CrosbyWallach_UsenixSec2003.pdf
>>
>> Fixed in Perl 2005
>> http://perldoc.perl.org/perlsec.html#Algorithmic-Complexity-Attacks
>>

>> This will be the last time in the "summer" room  E51-*376*.
>> We'll return to old traditional E51-*372* for Feb - May. (confirmed)
>>

>> Speaking of security ... if your home (or office) router has WPS simple
>> setup feature, *TURN WPS OFF. NOW.*
>>
>> Wi-Fi Protected Setup (WPS) PIN Brute Force Vulnerability
>>
>> https://isc.sans.edu/diary/Wi-Fi+Protected+Setup+WPS+PIN+Brute+Force+Vulnerability/12292
>>
>> --
>> Bill
>> @n1vux bill.n1...@gmail.com