On Wed, Mar 17, 2010 at 12:17:30PM -0500, Greg London wrote:
> > Mike Small wrote:
> > Which begs the answer to your question: Yes, people use die as goto.
> > People use longjmp as goto.  People use throw as goto.

The quoting got a bit mixed up here, this was John's statement, not mine.

> > Exceptions have an association with concepts like "error case"
> > and "should rarely happen"; but that is entirely wrongheaded.
>
> Most people program a certain way because they think a certain way.
> People generally adopt the language that fits their line of thinking.
> You're not providing a solution that fits other's way of thinking,
> you're tellign them they should think *your* way.

To the degree they have a choice in the matter and have educated
themselves well about the options.  For some of us, it's more chance
and local custom.  The idea of using the right language for the
job strongly appeals to me, as does this idea of picking the language
best suited to my way of thinking, but I'd have to be a much quicker
study (and a much better interviewee?) and do much more programming
per week to truly claim to have learned enough to follow either of
those approaches in a nonsuperficial way.  Which is why I really
shouldn't be getting into language comparison discussions, but
thank you everyone for your responses.  Much more thoughtful and
informative than the usual language comparison discussions I
sometimes find myself in.

> And if this is a discussion about marketing, then you have it entirely
> backwards. Marketing is discovering what the market wants and giving
> it to them. If people want exceptions to be for error cases and
> such, then they will find the language that embodies that thinking.
>
> "There is more than one way to do it" is the marketing success of perl.
> It lets people do it their way. But it may be a weakness, since having a
> *team* of programmers all using perl in completely different ways is
> little better than having a team all using different languages entirely.

Mike Small
sma...@panix.com