I think of PDF as digital paper, and I figure that if I'm printing to PDF,
the implication is that the document should be in an archival form. When I
export to PDF from LibreOffice, I always use the PDF/A-1a option.

If it only embeds the characters used in the document, that accomplishes
the purpose as far as I'm concerned.