Topic Downloading AO3 bookmarks: a continuation of my "let me make sure I
can entertain myself when I'm 90" series.
Ricky Morse

Ricky has previously shown us Perl scripts to make offline backups of
various media he'd like to see again (without relying on the continued
solvency of Archive.org).
This will be another variation.

*6:30pm - 9:00pm Eastern Time *

Meeting will be on *JITSI* FLOSS meetings -- like Zoom but with better
security and open source.
To *compute the secure meeting URL*, run this command on day of event (or
day before - it computes a different URL each *week*, so as to be usable in
far flung timezones).

>  perl -MDigest::SHA=sha1_hex -MPOSIX=strftime -le 'print strftime "%Y/%m/%d
> week %U", localtime; $date=strftime "Y%Y W%U", localtime; print $date; print
> "https://meet.jit.si/BostonPM-".sha1_hex("BostonPM".$date);'
>
> (
> *If on Windows with classic CMD instead of a Gnu/BSD shell in Terminal,
> exchange single and double quotes, but you knew that.If your mail client
> breaks the line in a way that it stays broken cut-&-paste, unbreak it.*
> *This hashes Year and ISO Week which won't be friendly to AU/NZ/JP/IN on
> New Year's Eve but should work on Tuesdays the rest of the year.*
> *If this doesn't work for you, send off-list email to Bill or DM on
> Twitter @n1vux or @BostonPM . *)
>
> *BOILERPLATE*
>
>   (If you need to hear my rant about why Zoom’s “fixes” are inadequate, ask
> me off-list.)
>   Jitsi is a Free/Libre OSS project sponsored by 8x8 (an Atlassian spin-off).
> It is the freemium base for their added-value corporate meeting & VOIP
> platform. As FLOSS, it can be self-hosted; they provide a free demo server.
> We will currently be using the free demo server, but may migrate to a hosted
> server (where we can set defaults, privileges).
>   Natick FOSS group has a 4-page Jitsi Help .pdf file
> <http://www.millermicro.com/FOSSUserGroupJitsi.pdf>, and you can practice
> beforehand.  (They meet 1st Thursdays, online, early afternoon.)
>  Update to file ^ : Firefox latest versions 78+ support multicast, so are
> safer than before. Chrome/Chromium/FF78+ all plausible now.
>
> One can use plain web mode, but you can install the browser plug-in if you
> like (recommended if sharing slides or terminal). There are also iOS
> (iPhone/iPad) and Android apps which work well.
>

> JITSI keyboard shortcuts -
> https://jitsi.github.io/handbook/docs/user-guide/keyboard-shortcuts
>
> JITSI scales fine to more people in face-sharing BradyBunch /
> HollywoodSquares mode than you can easily see at once (30ish) and if folks
> turn off their cameras when just listening/talking, i.e. when not
> commenting/presenting, it scales much higher. (If we later get more folks
> than will comfortably fit in Jitsi, we can set up a stream to YouTubeLive
> or some other platform … or upgrade to a proper panelist platform feeding a
> stream, but the “seminar” quality of Jitsi is fine for our level of
> anarchy.)
>
> I will routinely mute those not presenting so you’ll usually need to
> unmute to comment. Hint: Space-bar is push to talk, M is mute/unmute (on
> phone/tablet it’s the skeuomorphic microphone, avoid the handset hangup
> [...]
(And i usually post the Charlotte meetings there and here too.)

FWIW Our *Wiki* is currently *OFFLINE*. (Provider got DNS-jacked after
business folded. Free is worth every penny, no complaints. It will
eventually reappear, whether as a wiki or as static pages is TBD. )

--
Bill Ricker
bill.n1...@gmail.com