To report a botnet PRIVATELY please email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
----------
A year or so ago when the pump-and-dump spams started up in earnest (who
else remembers the sudden nightmare of TXHE?), there was a similar
pattern in that most of the Message-ID headers in those spams contained
"6c822ecf."

This was well before Storm was on the scene as an identified botnet, but
we sat around and watched a similar evolution, with the spammers making
similar "mistakes" and gradually changing the heuristics of their spam
every few days, just like Storm is doing now. I have to wonder if
there's been some code re-use in Storm from that old stock-spamming
engine, or if - perhaps more likely - the same folks are behind both
incidents.

I (again) posit that the responsible parties are intentionally giving
clueful mail admins an easy way to filter, hoping that we'll do just
that, because it's simpler than following up with abuse reports or other
action. There's no other reason that I can come up with for having a
static, readily identifiable string present in a large number of these
emails. To do so by accident would be an amateur gaffe, and whoever's in
control of Storm is no amateur.

-s