I remember when I had my Apex, that not every unicode character has an
assigned computer braille code pattern. But you can assign a pattern to the
character.
All of the English-speaking countries but the US has adopted UEB as their
official code. I have never been a fan of this code, but I am teaching
myself how to use it because the US will probably adopt it, too, at least
for literary braille. This code has many more dot patterns assigned to
unicode characters than computer braille does. It also has more characters
assigned to grade 2 braille. For example, in US grade 2, dot 4 is the symbol
for all accents: acute, umlaut, grave, tilde and so on. UEB has a two-cell
sign for each accent: accute is 45,34. Umlaut is 45,36. Tilde is 45,12456.
Then, you type the letter that is to be accented. Another example is fonts.
In US grade 2, dots 4,6 is used for underline, bold, italic. But UEB has a
different symbol for each font. But US grade 2 transcribers are taught to
change all fonts to dots 4,6 and omit it altogether when it's only present
for looks rather than emphasis. But UEB takes more room and I detest its
math symbols. If you choose it as your default braille code, then you can
bring up the table and browse all the symbols.
Terri, Amateur Radio call sign KF6CA.
___
Replies to this message will go directly to the sender.
If your reply would be useful to the list, please send a
copy to the list as well.
To leave the BrailleNote list, send a blank message to
[email protected]
To view the list archives or change your preferences, visit
http://list.humanware.com/mailman/listinfo/braillenote