Hi Zak, OzAaron.

  The spade is formed into an L, with the lower leg resting on the top of
the switch. The lower leg is riveted onto the switch terminal.  The failure
occurred at the rivet, but it retained low resistance continuity even when
I was troubleshooting. Looking back, I should have noticed the blackening
of the wire at the terminal and used that as a clue to the failure. Anyway,
it's now working.