--- Steve Sloan II <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Jeroen van Baardwijk wrote:
>
>  > > we in the US do not trust our governemnt that much.
>
>  > You're contradicting yourself. On one hand you say you
>  > don't trust the government (in this case, a member of
>  > the Judicial branch), but on the other hand you've
>  > stated that the three branches (Legislative, Executive
>  > and Judicial) keep each other in check and prevent each
>  > other from abusing their power.
>
> It's not a contradiction at all. We don't trust *any* branch
> of the government too far, so we have two other branches to
> keep the third from becoming too powerful. We don't trust the
> other two branches to do this out of the goodness of their
> hearts, either. It's in their *best interests* to keep each
> other in check, so they can keep their own power.
>
> Of course, we understand that if all three branches of
> government band together to abuse their power, then we're
> completely screwed, but that's true of any government. At
> least in our case, we have an extra level of security in
> place between decent government and Orwellian nighmare.
> If all else fails, we can always at least *attempt* to
> overthrow the too-far-gone, corrupted government.

Pardon me Steve, if I throw a monkey wrench into things and take it off in a
compleatly different direction than you may or may not agree with. But it is
exactly this last possibility, the  too-far-gone, corupted government
possiblity that I would like to bring into the picture to explain another of
the "differences" we and the europeans have.

We have the -right- to bare arms. Granted we differ a lot on this right but
traditionaly it has been very important to our society and our way. This
right means that we are capable of securing our freedom, even if our
government goes haywire. Now, our governemnt has not gone this haywire
yet...(at least not in my opinoin) but that is not the point. The point is
that public opinion means a lot specificaly becouse we are able to back that
opinion up with more than just protests.

We americans, never intend to use this..."threat" but it is ment to exist in
stasis. It also means that any attachink force would have citizens to deal
with. Citizens that could quickly be brought under the control of an official
and given the proper outfiting or insignia so as not to be illegal combatants
under the GC.

=====