Robert Seeberger wrote:

> Julia?

I think that what we have near us are still real zebras.

1)  There are a number of other animals on the same property that look
like specific African species.  (Some kind of gazelle?  Anyway, it has a
very distinctive kind of horn, and I never see that except in nature
programs on Africa, and that property, and maybe in a zoo or two I've
visited in the past.)

2)  If they're crossbreeds like that, presumably they can't mate.  I'm
guessing the female wouldn't go into heat or otherwise put out signals
to the male that he ought to, um, go for a horsey ride.  And I saw him
chasing one of the hers down yesterday and trying to go for a horsey
ride.  (Sammy was neither paying attention, nor speaking clearly enough
for me to determine if he was asking about the activity, so I'm spared
*that* question for now.)  If I see a baby zebra down the line, that'll
clinch it.  (What's the gestation period for a zebra, anyway?  Anyone
know?)

        Julia