On Sun, 29 Sep 2002, Reggie Bautista wrote:

> Here's an analogy I've heard:  Imagine a statue the size of the entire
> United States.  Imagine that this statue is incredibly detailed.  You can
> spend your whole life studying the details of one small area, maybe
> occasionally stepping back to get a bigger picture view.  But the further
> back you stand, the less detail you see.
>
> I think the point of this analogy is that there are a lot of different
> beliefs, a lot of different ways of believing, but maybe all beliefs (or
> most, or at least many) are simply describing details from different parts
> of the statue.

The natural consequence of the metaphor, however, is that the God of any
given theism is just a way of describing one of these miniscule details.
To then project that God as a definition of the entire statue would be a
theistic fallacy, but that is what theists do as a rule in the
Judeo-Christian-Islamic traditions.

Marvin Long
Austin, Texas
Bush, Cheney, Rumsfeld, & Ashcroft, LLP (Formerly the USA)

"Two bits, four bits, six bits, a peso.  If you're for Zorro,
stand up and say so!"