In a message dated 10/2/2002 8:34:08 AM US Mountain Standard Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

<<
 Cue: doubletake

 L-L-Lime Jello? >>

It's a bit rewritten from the email I sent Brin. I think I still need more
editing, etc. It's supposed to be as if it's read by someone who runs into a
SF con's panel discussion on the Uplift universe.

------------------
 WARNING! WARNING! WARNING! WARNING!

 TOP PRIORITY.

 IMMEDIATE IMPLEMENTATION.

 To all Terragen Field Agents:

It is absolutely and expressly forbidden for any agent at any time, and in
particular
at any social function that includes the serving of Terran foods, where there
is the open participation of Galactic races of clans and alliances that are
not TOTALLY known to Terragens as being both friendly AND not easy to bring
to anger, to do the following:

 SERVE LIME JELLO.

The penalty for serving lime Jello (Registered Earth product name) or any
other gelatin dessert of a green, lime-green, yellow green, etc. color to any
Galactic race not previously cleared by edict, will be IMMEDIATE ARREST
without parole,  and upon conviction, a FINE and/or CONFISCATION OF ASSETS,
including future wages, to total no less than 500,000 credits, and a
MANDATORY JAIL TERM of not less than 40 years.

The DEATH PENALTY will be given, with NO DISCRETION OF THE COURT, and with
the said penalty to be performed under the observation of representatives of
neutral Galactic races to be selected by THE INSTITUTE FOR CIVILIZED WARFARE,
for the following combination:

 SERVING LIME JELLO WITH MINIATURE MARSHMALLOWS.

A limited explanation and conjecture follows.

Just a day ago, a very simple document was delivered to Earth from the
Institute for Civilized Warfare. It was short, tightly worded, and in
multiple languages. These included ALL activeTerragen languages (which in
other circumstances would be considered a diplomatic breakthrough). There was
nothing in the way of a given  explanation except that this "request" did not
originate with the institute. It was forwarded to them by the Poaglisis.

Now the Earth branch Library has little information on the Poaglisis. But it
is known that for religious reasons, they need the sapients that they
encounter to be clothed.

The following is highly speculative, but it is now believed that the
combination of lime Jello and white miniature marshmallows may cause one or
more Galactic races to start shedding their clothes.

So little is known about Galactic biology, and even less about mating and
reproduction due to the Library's filters. But we think that this may be an
automatic mating response.

There is probably a race with an aquatic past that has a spawning pattern of
reproduction, with the male of the species having an automatic and
uncontrollable fertilization response that is induced by this particular
combination of both color and pattern. Scientists feel that the race may
exist today as being low K, or with usually only one egg (marshmallow) per
mating. But in special cases of needing quick population increases, or in
giving special honor to the male, the race changes to high  K.

[Agents are now warned not to use the term "Special K", even when dealing
with breakfast cereals.    --just in case.]

With the current, and in many cases abrupt, change in status to
Terran/Galactic politics, it is felt that the Poaglisis may be prepping us
for increased social interaction.

Even if the truth will never be known, we have been warned.

 END TRANSMISSION. >>

-----

William Taylor
[EMAIL PROTECTED]