--- The Fool wrote:
> http://www.kusa.com/storyfull.asp?id=7112
>
> Jeffco stores soon to require fingerprints for all
> check and credit card purchases
> by 9NEWS reporter Ginger Delgado, edited by Web
> Producer Paola Farer October 02, 2002 - 7:59 AM
>
> JEFFERSON COUNTY - You'll soon have to provide a
> fingerprint to go
> shopping in Jefferson County. Consumers using checks
> or credit cards will
> have to give their prints to merchants.
<snip>
> "The important thing about this to remember is that
> it doesn't put an
> honest customer's fingerprint into a database
> somewhere,” said Sgt.
> George Hinkle. “The only people that are actually
> going to have their
> fingerprints processed are the crooks."

Suuuure...until someone decides that there might be
another use, given that the Denver Police Dept.
recently was forced to make public their files on
protest marchers (_not_ people convicted or suspected
of vandalism or anything else, just having
participated in a public demonstration).  Of course,
that may be small potatoes, since the Colorado Dept of
Motor Vehicles was selling their driver lists -
including pictures! - to various companies (that was
stopped after the story went public).

> The fingerprints will be kept on file until the
> transactions clear. If
> there's a problem, the prints will be passed along
> to investigators. The
> new policy will take effect throughout Jefferson
> County in the next few weeks.

Where I won't be shopping, just because, unless it's
cash.

"Formerly the USA" Maru