John wrote:

>I suppose that is true.  I remember taking those standardized
>tests as a kid and always being amazed when the teacher would say, "if your

>name doesn't fit in the blanks".  Huh?  It always seemed like the number of

>spaces for the last name went half way across the page!  And I was always
>done filling in those stupid little circles (with a number 2 pencil) way
>before everyone else.

Hey, I loved those multiple choice exam answer sheets! The only thing that
would have enough space for my name!

>You would be amazed how many people can mishear a simple name
>like "Horn". I get "Horan", "Doran", "Warren", "Smith"...  (OK, maybe
>not that last one...)

I'm reminded of a evening out drinking with some friends. A group of us who
were there until last orders made our way drunkenly to the tube station, and
one friend kept trying to pronounce my surname. My attempts to correct him
went unheard as he was adamant that what he was saying sounded exactly the
same as what I had been saying. His girlfriend and a third guy friend spent
the entire time pissing themselves laughing, especially when I tried to get
someone to back me up when I wearily said for the umpteenth time that he was
murdering my surname and sounded *nothing* like me. Argh. :(

Lal
GSV He Of Course Remembered Nothing Of This A Week Later

The information contained in this e-mail is confidential and solely
for the intended addressee(s). Unauthorised reproduction, disclosure,
modification, and/or distribution of this email may be unlawful. If you
have received this email in error, please notify the sender immediately
and delete it from your system. The views expressed in this message
do not necessarily reflect those of
LIFFE Holdings Plc or any of its subsidiary companies.