----- Original Message -----
From: "Erik Reuter" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Saturday, October 19, 2002 10:24 AM
Subject: Re: Well, This Is Fun...

> On Sat, Oct 19, 2002 at 07:24:28AM -0700, Bradford DeLong wrote:
> > I've scored (though how long it will last I don't know) a monthly
> > column in _Wired_: "Change."
>
> So, how much is the going rate for a Wired column?
>
> > What do people think that _Wired's_ subscriber base and other readers
> > need to be told?
>
> That's a rather broad question. I read Wired sometimes, and here is a
> question that occurred to me:
>
> How can growth of all the companies in a stock market (total market
> capitalization) consistently outpace growth in the GDP of the country
> in which the stock market is located, as it has for many years in the
> United States? Can this continue indefinitely?

Ooo ooo, can I answer this one before the professor does?

It can't, that's why the stock market fell.  IIRC, market
capitalization/GDP has historically been between 40% and 80%.  It reached
absurd heights, (maybe 150%) back at the peak.  Its now close to 80% or so.
IMHO, this is a real good number to see whether the markets are overvalues.

But, I will defer to our resident noted economist to correct me.

Dan M.