I got into sci-fi when I started college (my second attempt) around 1989.
There were a couple books that I read from the college library that I
haven't been able to find again. I wish I would have jotted down info
about them back then. :(

The first book had humans pitted against feline type aliens. I know it's
not the Kzin, or The Fleet books. The details that I remember were that
it was an Earth invasion type plot, and the humans had some weapon that
the aliens called either a "splat-gun" or "snit-gun". Don't remember
which. I checked on Google, but only came up with The Traveller stuff.

The second book is a fantasy one. The details about it were that it was a
young boy that was afraid of the "Monster under the bed", and that this
monster turned out to be in the shape of a hand and made out of dust and
magic. This monsters is to be the boy's steed, as the boy rides it
throught out the world that they enter. I checked books by Piers Anthony,
but there are not it.

If anybody has some clues about these book, I would really, really
appreciate it. :-)

- Hector Sosa, Jr