On the other hand, I can report from experience that, much like Japan,
visiting on business is a real treat from the standpoint of socializing.
You folks really take care of your visitors.  Very much as in Japan, it's
the foreign residents who tend to feel isolated.  I wonder if the Dutch who
visit here are as frustrated as the Japanese by the fact that here in the
states, we don't ensure that our business visitors are sufficiently
entertained each evening.

I should note that my impression of the Netherlands has been colored by
having been in Amsterdam on Queen's Day.  What a party...

And a note on salaries, professionals, etc.  There's at least one very large
exception to the pattern of professional hours and salaries we're been
talking about -- aerospace, where even the engineers are unionized.  That
always seems strange to me -- very well-educated, highly paid professionals,
some of whom practically work to rule.

Nick